SenatorsCollins-Klobuchar-King Biomass Amendment Passes Senate
Specifically, the amendment would require the Secretary of Energy, the Secretary of Agriculture, and the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency to jointly ensure that federal policy relating to forest bioenergy is consistent across all departments and agencies and that the full benefits of forest biomass for energy, conservation, and responsible forest management are recognized. The amendment would also direct these federal agencies to establish clear and simple policies for the utilization of biomass as an energy solution.
These include policies that:
· Reflect the carbon neutrality of forest bioenergy;
· Recognize forest biomass as a renewable energy source;
· Encourage private investment throughout the forest biomass supply chain;
· Encourage forest management to improve forest health;
· And recognize state initiatives to use forest biomass.