Theme I Overview
FBRI’s Theme I deals with forest bioproducts sustainability and linking dynamic forest ecosystems with societal demands for products and environmental protections.
Key questions pretaining to Theme I are:
- How does the life cycle (energy, waste, carbon footprint, etc.) of forest bioproducts compare to alternative products?
- What effect will sprawl and public opinion have on the social acceptabilityu of a future forest bioproducts economy?
- Does a forest biofuels/bioproducts industry make economic sense for Maine and the Northeast?
- What is the character and composition of the future sustainable supply of biomass feedstock and other wood products from Maine’s forest?
- What impact will demand for biomass have on Maine’s future forest?
- What is our logging capacity and are there improvements that need to be made to current harvest technologies?
This presentation is an overview of FBRI’s Theme I: Promote Forest Health for a Stable Bio-Economy.