Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
EXPLORE IT! BUILDING THE NEXT GENERATION OF SUSTAINABLE FOREST BIOPRODUCT RESEARCHERS – Summer Opportunity for 2023
REU 2023 Application Form, June 12-August 18
REU 23 Frequently Asked Questions
Potential Research Projects 2023
NOTE: Application deadline is February 24, 2023
“Explore it! Building the Next Generation of Sustainable Forest Bioproduct Researchers” at the University of Maine Forest Bioproducts Research Institute (FBRI) aims for participants to develop and utilize new knowledge in an ethical manner to address forest bioproduct issues impacting society.
This program provides 10 undergraduates with a ten-week summer research experience, leveraging the focus areas of the University of Maine’s Forest Bioproducts Research Institute (FBRI). The focus on sustainable forest bioproducts is highly topical and of great global importance in the context of sustainable energy and material alternatives. In collaboration with faculty mentors, students conduct research advancing their general knowledge of the field and one of several thematic elements, including: i) Forest Feed Stock Extraction, ii) Nanocellulose-derived Products, iii), New Product Development (Renewable Fuels, Chemicals , and Materials, iv) Sustainability Assessment.
The REU program concludes with a forest products industry field trip to Finland (subject to possible COVID-19 travel restrictions) and a research conference where participants present their work to faculty and students at the Aalto University. A unique set of evaluation and assessment tools are employed that allow tracking of student performance, thus offering feedback to students and the program.
Funding for this program is provided by the National Science Foundation. Women, minorities, and students with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Current undergraduate in sophomore or junior year with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- US Citizen or permanent resident
- Must have a valid passport
- Must have proof of full COVID-19 Vaccination to participate
Applications should be submitted via the Application Form link above. You must also submit a current academic transcript and two letters of reference. Letters of reference must be emailed directly by the letter’s author to Christina VonTorne at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your application packet (application, transcript, two letters of reference) is complete, it will be submitted to the selection committee for review.
- $5000 Stipend + On Campus Housing Provided
- 2 of the 10 Students to Perform their Research in Finland
- Week Long Research Experience & Exchange in Finland for all Students
- Opportunity to Perform Research on Pressing Global Issues Relating to Sustainable Product Development and Biofuel Generation from Woody Biomass
Why University of Maine?
Maine is the most heavily forested state in the nation, where forest stakeholders, large landowners, industry, small business, educational institutions, and government have a history of working together to enhance forest productivity and subsequent business. Being a historically “green” state with solid governmental support behind ongoing development of forest bioproducts capabilities and sustainability, Maine has a highly integrated wood products industry (energy, pulp & paper, sawmills, OSB, etc.) that is of primary importance to the state. The UMaine is home to internationally established engineered wood composites and nanocellulose research programs, as well as a large-scale forest-based bio-refineries and pilot plants that serve as technology validation and demonstration facilities.
- Forest Feedstock Extraction
- Nanocellulose-derived Products
- New Product Development (Renewable Fuels, Chemicals, and Materials)
- Sustainability assessment
- Wood Science and Technology
- Sustainable Material Science
- Chemical Engineering
- Resource Economics
- Fundamental and Applied Forest Bioproducts Research
- Access to State-of-the-Art Research Equipment and Facilities
- Technical Writing and Oral Presentation Opportunities
- Ethics Workshop
- A Series of Evening and Recreational Activities
- Field Trips!
For questions regarding the application process or other administrative issues:
Financial and Administrative Manager
Forest Bioproducts Research Institute
5737 Jenness Hall, Room 149
Orono, ME 04469-5737